Friday, January 8, 2010

Housework is never done!

That's the problem with housework--you do it, and then you have to do it again.  My most dreaded chore is the laundry because, here in NYC, most of us have to go to the laundromat.  The buildings are old and the plumbing is not really adequate for the water pressure, plus the washer has to hook up to the kitchen sink and the dryer vented through a window.  Whew!  Some landlords don't allow washers in the apartments.  My building has a laundry room, but you still have to go outside to get to it.  No one is keeping it clean, etc., so it is just too creepy to consider using. 

On the other hand, carrying a basket of clothes down the street seems so primitive—like heading to the river bank to beat the clothes with a rock.  Or maybe it's because I didn't grow up in this city and have always had my own washer, that makes it such a challenge.  Oh well....

So, week after week, I suffer.  I have tried to change my attitude, but when the wind chill is -15, even my attitude can't "sugar coat" that inconvenience.  I'll do almost any chore to avoid the laundry.  So, guess what?  The apt. is clean and the dishes are done, but a lot of laundry is still piling up!  The good news is that, eventually, it does get done.


No comments: