Sunday, September 11, 2016

22.  Computer Drama/Trauma

I know it’s cliché…But, if it’s not one thing, it’s another!
Why is every day such a challenge?  Life used to be so easy!

Last Fall I bought a new Dell desktop computer, which I absolutely love, but it included Windows 10, which is also awesome—when it works correctly. So far, I have encountered several “bugs” that I have been able to resolve, eventually, after searching for answers on Google.

All of my desktop shortcut icons had annoying green arrows on them that mostly obscured the pictures that I had carefully created and formatted to customize each icon.  I got rid of those by following detailed instructions posted by a generous techie.

Next problem was really crazy.  All of my customized and carefully formatted icon images turned into small black squares.  I had never seen anything like that before.  But again, I resolved the problem with some fairly detailed and technical instructions for how to clear our my icon cache!   Gee whiz…

Good thing I am able to handle these issues myself.  I called Dell hoping to get some help and learned that my Dell warranty expired just about a week ago!  To add insult to injury, if I wanted to extend the warranty, they wanted $189 or a one-time charge of $89 to fix my individual problem.  I don’t think so!

My most recent problem was today.  Out of nowhere, my mouse’s right click was doing all kinds of crazy things.  Some guy on YouTube said that if you hold down the center wheel for a few seconds, that should fix the problem.  And sure enough, IT DID.  

Now that I have calmed down, I thought I would share.  The lesson to be learned from all this is, you can probably fix it yourself. Thanks for reading all this.  Have a great week!


No comments: