Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fall TV Season: Newbie Reviews


OK, I watched what I could from the new Fall lineup and I have mixed reviews.  Maybe it was the shows I picked, but some of them are turning out to be the same, tired, old format; so I switched a few.

It seems, even I have a hard time being objective.  The likability of the actors contributes heavily to a show's appeal and success.  A perfect example is Castle. Nathan Fillian is a natural in the role, and with his co-star, they make an exciting pair.

The Event is my favorite new show.  I just hope it holds up.  My favorite returning show, which is an absolutely, must see is The Good Wife—LOVE IT.  So, this is what I have so far:

NewbiesComments
Hawaii 5-0  
Lots of shoot 'em up cowboy stuff. Really hot guys and might be interesting after it gets going. Some scenes looked a bit fake—like back lot and not like real street scenes.  Maybe too much gratuitous violence.  We'll see...  But having a hard time staying interested to the end of the episode.
The EventI resisted watching this because I didn't want to spend six more years LOST, but I finally watched it, and I am totally hooked.  Modern SciFi.  It has the big special effects action of LOST, the intrigue of The X-Files and the non-stop pursuit of the good guy like The Fugitive.  I was holding my breath most of the time.  No one can be trusted and we don't yet know the difference between the good and bad guys.  I had hoped FlashForward would have all that, but it just turned out to be stupid.  And V is so completely unwatchable, I hope they don't bring it back.  I recommend this!
ChaseDecided not to watch it or review it. 
Detroit 1-8-7Good job, but same old story.  I like Michael Imperioli a lot, but this is the exact same character he played in Life on Mars!  Don't hold your breath for this one, it might not make it.  The hand-held camera and constant closeups make me feel a bit seasick. Watch it while you can. 
Blue BloodsWow.  I didn't think I would like it this much, but I am a sucker for anything shot on the streets of NYC.  It will fill the void left by Law and Order admirably.  And, who doesn't love Tom Sellak.  The rest of the core cast really shines.  All very likable, very appealing characters in one family unit.  Lots of warm and fuzzy. 
The Whole Truth Not going to watch it.  I don't like any of the actors.
The DefendersA fun romp with some unusual but attractive characters and the usual, predictable happy ending.  Good if there isn't anything else you want to watch.
UndercoversWell, it's complicated.  Hot, hot actors, gorgeous clothes, lots of action.  As with a lot of these types of shows, maybe too much violence.  Very much like Hart to Hart was years ago, only more technology.  Whether or not it is that believable, maybe not.  Fun.
Nikita
Nonstop action. Violence, torture, violence against women,  automatic weapons in the subway station.  Everybody gets killed except the good guys. High tech gadgetry that is too ridiculous. Won't be watching it.
Law and Order L.A.Same as the original L and O, but using crime stories from the West Coast instead.  Good cast, worth watching if you're already a fan.  I think I'm burned out on the genre.
Trump's Apprentice 
Of course, I'm watching it. The contestants have been brutal this time; especially the women.  Yikes.  Celebrities will be back second half of season.
Outlaw
Nope.  Is it Jimmy Smit's character and his smug attitude or just very boring writing or both?  Didn't hold my interest at all.
No Ordinary People
Way better than I thought it would be. Thought it would be more "cheesie," but appears to have a story. I think they can stretch it out for awhile, if it is done right. Very watchable.
Outsourced
Got bad reviews before it aired, but it is somewhat funny. The novelty has to wear off soon, though. There are only so many ethnic, stereotypical jokes you can make, before it starts getting tedious and offensive. Good fun while it lasts.

         

No comments: