Friday, August 12, 2016

5.  Do you want Cheese with that Whine?


Wednesday, I went to the hospital for an out-patient procedure, but it didn't go as well as it usually does.  I've been in bed for two days trying to recover.  I had to resort to a powerful pain killer in order to sleep.

Two different nurses tried two times each to insert a line for an IV drip.  On the first three tries, they blew up the vein.  Then, when I went for the procedure, my regular doctor was going to be supervising a couple of rookie doctors who were fighting over which one was going to do the procedure.  (It is, unfortunately for me, a "teaching" hospital.)  "I want to do it.  No, I want to do it."   I finally had to tell them they were making me very nervous.

As expected, I became their human pincushion while they pushed and pulled a very large needle in and out of my abdomen until they got it in the right position.  I was in agony.  One of the rookie doctors tried to distract me with jibber jabber conversation.  When I told him to shut up, everyone laughed as though I was hilarious!  I wasn't laughing.   My stomach muscles are so sore I can barely walk and my arm is covered with bruises.

My advice:  DON'T EVER GET SICK.  Start taking care of yourself NOW, and don't do anything that might jeopardize your future health.  You will regret it and it's not worth it.  Doctors aren't the same as they were "back in the day." They're into it for the money so they can buy expensive toys for their personal lives, while not paying much attention to their professional lives. The patients are secondary.  Oh well...  There is more demand than supply and way too many people waiting to see doctors.  I actually waited for five hours before I saw the doctors for the procedure.  When it was finally over, I had been there for seven hours.

NYC is experiencing an excessive heat alert (feels like 105), which we haven't had for several years.   It's miserable, but the cats and I are surviving.  Sorry to whine so much.   It's just one of those days.

   

No comments: